A consortium of private investors managed by 54 Capital – an Africa focused management firm – have made a $21 million growth capital investment into SAMANU, Ethiopia’s largest FMCG platform. The investment will fund the construction of a new integrated solvent extraction plant to enable the production of edible oil from locally available seeds (soya, sunflower, groundnut, cottonseed, sesame).
African Bamboo aims to catalyse the bamboo sector in Africa through vertical integration of bamboo value chains in Ethiopia and Kenya and through technology transfer to scale bamboo production across the continent. Through innovative processing technology and the development of offtake agreements, African Bamboo seeks to ensure that bamboo supply in Africa helps meet local and international demand for sustainable, net-zero building material.
Agri-processing Food Support
Established in 2014, Addis Dallas Industries PLC is a flour and biscuit manufacturing company located in the Oromia region of Ethiopia. The company’s vision is to boost local wheat production and provide nutrient rich food products for a healthy nation that is free of nutritional deficiencies. The company has a manufacturing facility that produces about 56 million packets of biscuits per year in seven flavors primarily for domestic consumption. 10% of the production is exported to Somalia & Eritrea.
Enabling Food Security and Nutrition Enhancement
Manufacturing Africa supported by;
- Linkage with sources of finance. MA performed an investor mapping exercise and identified five potential financiers that it introduced to the company and the expansion project.
- Further, MA has introduced the project to the Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) for support on sourcing of wheat.
Agri-processing Promasidor Deal Support
Manufacturing Africa supported BBZ in three main areas by:
- Coordinating discussions between BBZ and the Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA)
- Identifying supply quality control and certification options based on BBZ’s production, particularly around aflatoxin content in wheat
- Compiling data on market potential and access requirements in neighbouring countries
MA Partners with Norfund in Covid Response Deal
MA supported Norfund’s investment deal by conducting commercial due diligence whose scope included the following:
- A market study covering market sizing, a competitive landscape survey and sustainability of the target company’s competitive advantage
- Analysis of forex related risks in Ethiopia
CASE STUDIES ETHIOPIA
Supporting Recycling Sector Transformation
MA conducted a supply study, assessing the composition of waste collected from residential and commercial sources at different locations across Addis Ababa as it currently arrives at the waste dumping site. The study was conducted in partnership with the paper company and with the company providing the required infrastructure and labor for sorting.